Saturday

Saturday 9 - Too Fat Polka

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.


1) Have you ever danced the polka? No I haven't. I've done a lot of dances but I doubt any were polka related.

2) The centerpiece of a traditional Polish polka band is the accordion. The accordion is a substantial instrument. Have you ever tried to play it? Yes actually and for someone short like me who isn't really good at holding something heavy... it was a pain in the butt. Not the instrument for me.
  
3) The plump lady of this song cannot fit into the singer's car. How many passengers does your car comfortably seat? I think I could fit 5 people in my Nissan Versa.

4) Would you like to lose a few pounds? I have lost .... I was 250 now I am 180.

5) In the long ago 1940s, this song was considered amusing. Do you think it's still funny today? Sure. I appreciate the humor of a good funny song.

6) Arthur Godfrey, who recorded this song, was a popular radio and TV host from the 1930s to the 1970s. Before this week's Saturday 9, had you ever heard of him? Yes, my grandmother had a few of his radio broadcasts on record I believe and we listened to them.

7) One of his more popular radio shows was Talent Scouts. A 1940s-50s version of American Idol, this show gave previously unknown singers their first national exposure. Godfrey could point with pride to having helped discover Tony Bennett and Patsy Cline, but he made a mistake by rejecting Elvis Presley. Tell us about something you'd do differently if you could get a "do over." I'd get my mother and father to stop smoking IMMEDIATELY because cancer is what killed them. I'd do all I could to convince them.
  
8) In 1953, Godfrey made news by having one of the nation's very first hip replacements. Have you ever been/would you be part of a clinical trial, either for a new drug or a new medical procedure? yea I did a few new drugs in their experimental stages and I have done a surgery that was fairly new to remove polyps in my nose twice. 

9) RANDOM QUESTION: You and a friend are shopping. She tries on an expensive sweater and enthusiastically asks what you think. You think it looks awful. Do you tell her the truth? YES I do. But gently. I would say, "You know I just don't think it's your kinda sweater. Maybe we could find you something more flattering to you."

14 comments:

  1. Convincing parents not to smoke...I would do that with my dad. He died of lung cancer, too. The hold it has on people is awful. My dad never stopped until they put him on oxygen and he had to worry about blowing himself and the rest of us up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your Dad. My Mom was in perfect health all her life but smoked. Then she got bad pains and had her gallbladder removed. Next thing you know the Doctors are acting strange and not being TRUTHFUL with her.... then they tell her almost a month later she has cancer... she died 2 months later. Dad had agent orange from vietnam so his problems started there but he smoked to. 5 months after Mom he died... so yea, I'd go back and tell them to stop. I'd get militant about it if I had to just to save them.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss! I wish I could get serious and do it, so I admire you.

    I've now outlived my dad. He was a heavy smoker and died of a massive stroke. The smoking did terrible damage to his teeth. He used to be so adamant about his "right" to smoke. I wonder if he secretly didn't regret the hold that addiction had on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The only way I lost weight was to have a heart attack though. LOL. Then I got scared and cut out a lot of BAD stuff but also started walking more.

      Sorry about your dad too. Smoking is a major downfall to many people. Glad I didn't hang on to it myself.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my...Bill has Polish friends (of over 25 years). They have a Polka band. Bill plays music with them often. Jay plays an accordion, as did Bill's brother. Bill plays lead guitar. There is a drummer and occasionally others (trumpet, sax). I know far too many of these songs. Ha! Interesting questions and answers. Well done, my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a musician too... although I have NOTHING about it on this page. I play trumpet, drums, piano but my true love is singing. I wish I had a band to play with but I mostly just sing for myself these days. I retired from PROFESSIONAL trumpet playing in 2010. Made a lot of money doing that.

      Delete
  4. I wish that I could get down to your weight,it seems impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is impossible. If you want to do it and really want to do something FUN that will get you results try DDPYoga. DDP does WONDERS and changes lives. He's awesome.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your hard work paying off--sorry it took a heart attack, though-that's scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it was scary... but it was because of abuse and neglect from my ex husband. I am better now though.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the weight loss. I would like to see 180 again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  7. I like the way that you worded that last one. It was well said.

    ReplyDelete

SHOW SOME LOVE!!!! Comments are appreciate and welcomed. Please be respectful.