Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Martha's Movie Reviews: Poltergeist (2015)

 
All seems well for Eric Bowen, wife Amy and their three children as they move into their new house in the suburbs of Illinois. Soon, youngest daughter Maddy begins talking to an imaginary friend, or so the family thinks. It's not long before spirits wreak havoc in the home, holding Maddy captive and forcing the parents to consult a team of parapsychologists who engage the supernatural entities in a battle for the girl's freedom.


Now before I say anything ELSE... I am NOT fond of REMAKES. We all know this. But if you are gonna do one ... do it as close to the original but put some real EFFORT into it. I have to say this remake... did that and more.


 
So pretty much Maddy is Carol Anne. "They're here".
 
She did it less spooky. But I liked HER (Kennedi Clements). While she didn't have the same delivery in a lot of scenes as the original Poltergeist's little girl (Heather O'Rourke) but her acting was SPOT ON in a lot of her scenes making it a lot more believable than O'Rourke.
 

The rest of the cast was great especially the little boy, Kyle Catlett who played Griffin. I really loved how his character was the focus and not so much Maddy (aka the new Carol Anne). He was believable, delivered his lines well, and it was just a joy to watch this child actor not be as annoying as some child actors in various movies (you know what I'm talking about)


The effects in this movie are AWESOME. From the clown (pictured in the poster above), to the tree that grows a hand, to the portal in the photo above... everything was done and done well. Sure, it's nothing "new" but it isn't overdone or underdone... it's perfect. Just what you'd expect to see in this kind of movie.


The BIG replacement for me was there was NO little freaky psychic lady played in the original by Zelda Rubinstein... this time it was a ghost hunter. Yea, it made sense though to have Jared Harris as Carrigan Burke who has a "reality ghost hunting show" but really DOES have powers that can communicate with spirits. I loved him. "This house is clean".


My favorite moment from this movie was when the dead rose ... it was an awesome moment. Not over done but the dramatic feel of it was POWERFUL. Awesomely done!!!!


So in closing I must say, seldom does a REMAKE, especially a HORROR REMAKE, outdo and surpass the original for me... but Poltergeist 2015 DID! I loved it. I was so pumped after seeing it I saw it again twice in one day. Yep. That good. So watch it. Give it a chance. Don't compare it too much to the original because the family isn't the same, the plot is similar but all in all Poltergeist 2015 was a SUPERB remake keeping WITH the tradition and showing nothing but love of the original Poltergeist movies. Well done. A remake WORTHY of it's predecessor.


RATING:
4 out of 5 Bloody Eyeballs

1 comment:

I will respond when I can. Thank you for your opinions and comments.