Saturday, October 3, 2015

Martha's 31 days of Horror - Movie Review: Dracula 1974

 
OFFICIAL TRAILER
 

 
 
Everyone knows the story of Dracula. There have been SO many different versions of this story that sometimes critics/people say Dracula is overdone. I have seen the majority of Dracula films but this one had eluded me... thank you HULU PLUS for actually having it available to watch on demand.
 
 
 
Jack Palance plays Dracula. This is one of the first times if not the first the long lost love angle is introduced in the DRACULA movies ... I can say this... Jack Palance has some great delivery of lines and some of his stances are spot on but I couldn't get the "romantic/dark" vibe from him that I get from other Dracula like Lee, Oldman, Evans, hell, even Lugosi... so as Dracula, Palance just doesn't do it for me.
 
 
The supporting cast was the stars in this picture for me. Especially Nigel Davenport as Van Helsing. I don't know why but he mesmerized me from the start and I just couldn't take my eyes off him for any moment he graced the screen.
 
 
 So overall, Dracula is still the same story but this is definitely NOT the best version. If you are a Dracula enthusiast like me, it's worth watching at least once.
 
RATING:

3 out of 5 Bloody Eyeballs




Who was the best Dracula?

Bela Lugosi
Christopher Lee
Jack Palance
Gary Oldman
Luke Evans
Gerard Butler
Frank Langella
Other (please feel free to comment)

Poll Maker

1 comment:

I will respond when I can. Thank you for your opinions and comments.